Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My daughter has some debt with a credit union , she is unable

Customer Question

my daughter has some debt with a credit union , she is unable to work now because of a medical problem . the credit union is telling her that they are taking all the money of her work temp.
can they do that ?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Barrister replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question..Can you explain what you mean by "they are taking all the money of her work temp."?.Are you saying that they are trying to garnish her wages?.Or levy on her accounts for the debt?.or something else?.Does she have a bank account at the credit union with money in it?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
she is getting work comptime pay , yes they are garnishing all the wages ,yes levy on her account for the debt, yes money is being sent to the credit union by her employer
I am sorry, I have to opt out as something has come up that I need to take care of. I will opt out and open the question to other experts..Someone should be along shortly to help.. Barrister
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.
A different Professional here. Your post: my daughter has some debt with a credit union , she is unable to work now because of a medical problem . the credit union is telling her that they are taking all the money of her work temp.can they do that ? Response: No, they CANNOT do that. The Credit Union cannot garnish her worker's compensation payments. Worker's compensation payments are 100% exempt from execution. See Texas Labor Code Section 408.201. Your daughter needs to demand that the Credit Union put the money back in her account or she would file lawsuit against the bank for this illegal offset/set-off. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.