CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

I received a letter and phone call today form a lawyer on behalf

Customer Question

I received a letter and phone call today form a lawyer on behalf of directv. I had a box a my business from my home. Now they say I owe $10,000, i pay for that box every month. Furious and worried, what can I do? I'm a small barber shop please any answers. How can they do that or is this muscles to see what they can get out of me
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 8 months ago.
Dear Customer,Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today.At first read, it appears that you have an issue with a mistaken account.You say that you pay for your box on time, and that there is no default - there is no reason why an attorney would be calling you.I would start by getting your account information together (so get a copy of your contract - usually you can get this using your login information and online access, if you cannot, contact the company directly and ask for them to email you a copy).Once you receive this, along with your payment information (usually simply your last bill showing that you have a zero balance), contact the attorney back, give them this information and ask that they contact their client to review their records as there is a mistake.Ask that they follow back up with you to confirm the status of the account.I also recommend following this up in writing. You can do this by sending a "confirmation letter" to the attorney summarizing your phone call and attaching a copy of the above documents.You may even be able to negotiate a break on your subscription with the company based on this (call the customer service line, let them know what happened and ask (demand) that they give you a break based on this error on their part.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The account is paid in full every month. I feel I was not clear with all my information. I have a residential box acct. I have a barber shop and there was a dish set up and a extra box at my house so I plugged it in. Never a problem ever, even had them check signal strength and trouble shoot it several times. If this was a problem why did they not tell then. I'm not stealing I pay for it. This lady from NY law office contacted me today a work and said $10,000 and if I was not going to pay then I need a lawyer to contact them. REALLY?!?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I signed my contract in 2008, I don't remember that being said. Why, would I call them to trouble shoot if I thought I could get in trouble. The lady was a real "tool" and refused to listen to anything
Dear Customer,Are you using a residential account (box) for commercial purposes (your barbershop)?If that is the case, you are likely in violation of the terms of your contract (using a residential agreement for commercial purposes), and that is the basis of their demand.