Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Pearl!! My name is ***** *****. I received a call about

Customer Question

Hi Pearl!! My name is ***** *****. I received a call about an sweepstakes winnings. I been getting calls from this morning but have no idea if it is a scam.. I need your help please!
JA: The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No! I did not know that I needed one.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Consumer Protection Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Consumer Protection Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I was scam before that why I look for you on line .
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Anna, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. It is impossible to win a sweepstakes that you did not enter, and no legitimate company will ever ask you to pay something to win a prize. So, if you're getting a call from a sweepstakes you've never heard of, or if they're asking you to pay ANYTHING to claim a prize, then it's not legitimate. This is true even if they say they'll "front" you the money by sending you a cashier check that you can cash and send back - those are fraudulent checks. Or if they're asking you to pay taxes or insurance, those aren't legitimate expenses. It's only legitimate if you submitted an entry, and the prize is being delivered without you having to spend any money to receive it.