Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney 40 plus years private practice. Real Estate, Wills, Trusts, Injury claims. Still active.

I had chrysler van dropped off at an autobody shop sunday before

Customer Question

I had chrysler van dropped off at an autobody shop sunday before last. it wasn't until last friday they gave me a quote on repairs, which was $700. I went there yesterday, and requested a form to sign off on for the service agreement. I assumed that this was a standard form, glossed it over fairly quickly without my glasses on, then signed off in two places. Section two of the form had something to do with power of attorney. I had been in a hurry to get this resolved and it was not until I got to my car that it struck me odd to have to sign off on a power of attorney for repairs. Then I realized I didn't really read the first section - I was running on assumption. I drove away having even failed to get a copy of the form. I fear I committed some kind of blunder, and am having fears of going back to see what I signed. Does a power of attorney in a service contract even exist? Does it sound like I signed some other form of contract that might jeopardize my holdings? Previously, I have had no persoanal or business relations with these people or this business.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 5 months ago.
It is pointless for me to try to guess what is in the agreement that you signed. All you have to do is call the body shop and asked them to email you a copy of the agreement that you signed. Don't go into details about not reading what you signed, (that won't hold up in court anyway)just tell them you lost your copy. They probably realized that you left without it and will send it to you. Or go by and pick up a copy. No reputable dealer would refuse to give you a copy under the circumstances.