Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I was just passed from Target store the other day corn on a

Customer Question

I was just passed from Target store the other day corn on a legal reason they simply said that according to them I interfere with business they claim I do this because their store closes at 10 p.m. and yet at 10 p.m. I am just approaching or starting to approach the registers or check out sometimes approaching at 10:02 mind you there is always still a roaming customer besides myself and as far as I know as long as the store was open a customer is allowed to shop you just have to be at the checkout By Me closing hours I was never talk to you about this I was never informed that it was a problem nothing and then this last visit Mall security approaches me and pulled me into the back room of Target and tells me that I am trespass for that reason and the multiple calls that they had on me which I have yet to learn of any because I have never spoken with a security guard or any employee for any reason and they took it even further not only did they trespassed for interference of business at Target but they trespassed me from the entire Mall property and every store on that property which includes my gym that I attend on a regular basis and have paid a Year's membership for my grocery store can I shop at everyday and every other store in that mall I do not feel they have the right to do this when I have not done anything illegal and if this was such a problem if I was doing something so wrong why I never talk to you or approached about this matter they took my picture and just passed me and made me sign a document and said if I even drive to the premises in the mall parking lot that I will be charged with trespassing I don't see how they can do this I believe they're violating my rights and I want to pursue actions I just do not know what my rights are or how to go about it
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that these stores are a private business and they have a right to ask someone to leave the premises at any time. If the store did not want you shopping or checking out after 10PM, that is their right. However, if you can prove that you were told this based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin and they allowed others to continue shopping, then you would have grounds to sue them for discrimination, because that would be a violation of your civil rights.
If you cannot prove this is based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin then they legally can seek to ban you from the entire property if the mall ownership agrees and that would not be unlawful as it is a private business and they have rights to take that type of action.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So you're telling me that they have the right to Simply trust that somebody's when I am a couple minutes past 10 o'clock and yet they've never approached me letting me know that they were having an issue with this while I wasn't the only person that this is this is it acceptable and legal do they not have to warn you or at least let you know that there's a problem or they can just simply trust as you from an entire Mall property of over 30 stores for something that is not illegal
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I meant that they can trespassing buddy when I am a couple minutes past 10 o'clock
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also Safeway is not a part of the mall business however they're building is on small property so how does that work
Thank you for your reply.
It is not "illegal" for them to have you removed and it is not "illegal" to ban you from the premises. You have a right to appeal this to mall management, but legally they can ask you not to come onto the property.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So they can pick any person out in the store and say Hey you come over here I'm trespassing you due to the fact that bring people here to the store and they do returns or exchanges without receipt. because we have seen you come into the store with them. So we are trespassing you from the store because you are interfering with business. that bans them from the entire Mall property and any other stores presiding on it. Are you'looking still going to tell me that is legal? My whole argument is this is there was a problem that they were thinking if that was happening why do they not approach the customer and inform them that they wanted to visit ***** *****ge how can you simply jump to such as severe consequence for something that is not illegal and that's multiple hundreds and thousands of people do on a daily basis
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, they can ban anyone from their private property for any reason EXCEPT for based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin and that is not illegal for them to do. When you say "illegal" that means that they are violating some law, but they are really not because the mall is private property and they are allowed to restrict access on the property as they see fit except for one of those reasons.
I am telling you that if you own property where your business is located and you do not want someone on your property you have every right to tell them they are not welcomed there and not to return (as long as it is not based on age/race/sex/disability/national origin of the person) and that is your right as the business owner.