Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I bought a car 3 years October. I have been having problems

Customer Question

I bought a car 3 years October. I have been having problems with the Engine every since I bought the car. It has been in and out of the shop several times. I have been lied to by the dealership, accused of not changing my oil, lied too and assumed that I am unaware of reasonable possibilities of issues my car is producing, incurred an unamount amount of inconveniences and financial expenses due to these issues. The dealer has finally agreed to do an oil usage test and promises to tow my car if it breaks down. Upon me calling the dealership the service manager told me that they would no be able to tow my car until Monday although I called them first thing Saturday morning. Causing me to once again not have a car. Then he goes on to say that he wouldn't know if he could give me a car until after he looks at it on Monday. What can I do? I feel like I am being discriminated against because I'm a woman and being taken advantage of. This isn't even a gist of what I have dealt with. Please help!
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 months ago.
I am so sorry to read about your difficulties. If you bought this car as new, Tennessee Lemon Law applies and you should demand that the manufacturer (not the dealership) replace the car or refund your purchase price. The dealership is just an agent of the manufacturer. However, you can make the request through the dealership or go directly to the manufacturer. If you bought this car as used, Tennessee Lemon Law unfortunately does not apply. However, you can file lawsuit against the dealership if the dealership misrepresented the condition of the car at the time of the sale. You may consider retaining the services of a local consumer Attorney to send a demand letter to the dealership and if necessary file lawsuit against the dealership for this unfair and deceptive act and practice, for selling you a lemon and failing to resolve the issue to your satisfaction. Most consumer Attorneys would take a case on contingent fee basis. This means that the Attorneys may not charge upfront for their fees and would only get paid if they win the cases for the consumers. Even then most Courts award Attorney fees to prevailing consumers. So, you may not have to pay out of pocket to obtain a consumer Attorney to sue the dealership for unfair and deceptive act and practice to force the dealership to replace the car and refund your purchase price.You can use the following sites to find local consumer justia.comlawyers.comKindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.