How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 56226
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Salvage title forced on me by Progressive Insurance. I was

Customer Question

Salvage title forced on me by Progressive Insurance. I was in what I considered to be a minor accident where I'm backing out of my driveway when someone in a pull-in parking spot across the street pulled out and backed in to me. My car is totally driveable and in an otherwise legal state (no bro***** *****ghts etc.) but due to it being a 1997 and the rear lift gate of my van being a bit crunched, they have declared it to be a total loss. My issue is not with the amount of money they are offering so much as the fact that to get that money AND keep the vehicle, I have to accept a Salvage title as they are saying it's "unrepairable"! I could do NOTHING to it and drive it legally! What can I do to fight the Salvage title? AND, if I can't do anything, can I still get it insured for liability and legally drive it? I can't find much online but one page says if the insurance company deems it "unrepairable", THEY can arbitrarily force me into the Salvage Title situation and I then have to remove the plates and cannot drive it! I live on Social Security and not a lot else; I certainly can't take the $1500 they are offering and buy another car! I have not been in ANY accident for 40 years and now this! Thanks for any advice.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
what outcome are you seeking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Most importantly I DON'T WANT A SALVAGE TITLE! I don't so much have a quarrel with the amount they are offering as with the fact that they want to issue a Salvage Title for a "totalled" vehicle when the only damage was cosmetic--nothing safety involved or causing water leaks etc. They are adamant about saying it's a total loss because they don't want to pay to repair it. I just want my regular title so I can insure and drive it.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
have you considered complaint to management, dept of insurance, as well as a consumer complaint to the attorney general office?can also threaten this unless they waive it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I have mentioned all of those possibilities to them. I have not gone above the level of the two people I've been in contact with yet, but the "Claims Generalist Associate" has been totally unresponsive and neither she nor the claims adjuster has emailed me the repair estimate promised yesterday. Just found out the guy that backed into me never reported the claim (State Farm found out about it from Progressive) and now he's giving them a different story.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
I suggest escalating and begin by having a lawyer contact them and raise those outside avenues unless they reconsider! and are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer OK or higher.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
Please rate me positively.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions