Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.

I received a phone call on my cell phone today from someone

Customer Question

I received a phone call on my cell phone today from someone claiming they were attempting to collect a debt that I do not owe. Is there anything I can do about this?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 months ago.
Hello, If you think you do not owe this, you can ask them for written validation of the debt. You're entitled to that under the Federal Government's Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Then you can dispute the debt in writing. Once you've done that, they cannot harass you for payment. They have to leave you alone and if they don't they can be fined $1,000 for each instance that they bother you about payment. If they are out and out scammers, they won't be deterred by Federal laws, but then you can safely ignore them, block their number and report them online to the FBI at and to the Federal Trade Commission at They can take you to court, but they won't if there isn't any debt to sue for. The Federal Trade Commission gives an overview of overaggressive and/or fake collection agencies and how to get them off of your back, where to report them, where to learn more, etc. And it is pretty straightforward. You can access that here: