Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.

I sent a letter of cancellation to Outdoor Adventures after my 3 day grace period. I sent

Customer Question

I sent a letter of cancellation to Outdoor Adventures after my 3 day grace period. I sent e-mails and made phone calls to cancel this membership as well. They said our membership would be one price per month. Then on our first bill is was double that amount. I have never used this membership. I do not want it. They are threatening to take me to court. What should I do?
I have already paid them almost $800 for a service I have never used.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Why was the bill double what you were expecting?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They added additional fees that they said would be in the original price per month. So instead of 108 per month is was 230
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I feel like I got the bait and switch. Now they are saying I cannot cancel
Does the contract state that the amount would be $230 per month?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, it does not
At this point if you are not worried about your credit then just don't pay and then if they sue you can defend it based on the contract or a "mistake" in that you didn't understand that the amount would be as much as it is. If you don't want it to affect your credit then you will need to hire a lawyer and turn it over to them. They will start by writing a letter to the company demanding they rescind the contract based on fraud, etc. If the company refuses to do that then the lawyer will sue the company for you. They can also sue for their attorney's fees as well as a refund of all monies paid and a finding by the judge that the contract is cancelled.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So I will have to pay over 5000 to keep this off my credit report?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I use a mediation services instead?
You would have to 1) pay them the amount you contracted for, 2) sue them and get a judgment in your favor, or 3) get them to settle for less. You can ask them if they want to mediate but you really don't have anything to threaten them with at this point to make them settle.