Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.
18321761

How can I recover any money from American Cash awards. They

Customer Question

How can I recover any money from American Cash awards. They have scammed me!
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.
Hello, How did they scam you? Please reply here on this question thread.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
American Cash Award said yesterday that I would receive a sizable cash award and a high price auto if I sent $499by Walmart to Walmart. I did! Now they want $1,500. I know this is a scam now! Can I recover my $499.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just sent money! Is this a scam?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Why dont you respond to me?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.
These responses aren't canned. They take time to compose and type. Please be patient while I compose an answer.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.
You fell for a contest scam. When you're a real winner, you NEVER have to pay out of pocket to receive your money. They already have your cash when you're a real winner, so any fees they incur just get deducted from it and you'd get the rest. The up front fee is the #1 sign of a contest scam. What they did was illegal and that means that you could either sue them for your money back in small claims court or seek to have them prosecuted. The problem is finding them. American Cash Award has an address in Georgia, but whether they are the ones who actually reached out to you or someone who used their name, there's no way of knowing. The Better Business Bureau is aware of American Cash Award and on their rating scale from A to F have given them an F. They have been unable to verify the company's existence. You can see their review of them here. You can report the company to the Better Business Bureau at bbb.org, to your state attorney general's office and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov. You can sue them in small claims court if you can find them to serve them. You can also contact your police and the FBI at IC3.gov and report the scam as a crime. As the victim of a crime, your unreimbursed losses due to that crime are tax deductible. So in the worst case scenario if the agencies above cannot help you recover your money, you can get some of it back in the form of a tax deduction when you file your 2016 taxes.