Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
19958803

My home association fees are long behind I sent them a check

Customer Question

My home association fees are long behind I sent them a check they sent check back I sent a offer that was affordable they turned it down. Can they refuse a payment.
JA: The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Consumer Protection Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Hoa turned it over to there lawyers an refuse all of my payment request I offer them can they refuse a payment they didn't believe I gave them a good offer but I gave them what was affordable for me to pay an pay off
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: The fee I owe them will take 2 years to pay off
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Ok
JA: OK. The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Consumer Protection Lawyer should know?
Customer: Its a outstanding bill from years an the offer to them was not enough funds to except but I wanted a payment plan that is feasible to pay
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.. can they refuse a payment they didn't believe I gave them a good offer but I gave them what was affordable for me to pay an pay off .Unfortunately, the only amount they are obligated to take is the full amount due plus any late fees that have accrued and any legal or attorney fees if they have their lawyers involved..They are under no legal obligation to accept a partial payment and can file a lien on the property and foreclose to force a sale of the property to pay the delinquent dues if you can't get them to agree to some type of payment plan where you repay the amount over time..I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy.....thanksBarrister