Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My regular Doctor who i have been seeing years

Customer Question

My regular Doctor who i have been seeing for several years has now refused to take the exact same insurance he took before because it is Cobra. Is this legal
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation. Unfortunately, this is legal. Medical offices do not have to take certain insurances or admit patients. There is no right to demand to see the doctor, and the doctor can refuse to treat a patient and/or take insurances. Just because they have treated you in the past does not mean that they have to continue to treat you. When an insurance goes into COBRA, this changes the payouts to the office, and they may not find it worth their while to admit patients on COBRA insurance. The doctor does not have to treat a patient unless the patient is in a life or death situation and the doctor is working for an EMTALA office (this does not apply here) I am afraid. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!