Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I have someone calling and saying they are coming to my home

Customer Question

I have someone calling and saying they are coming to my home and this is the last attempt. I would like them to stop as I suspect this is a scam. I suffer from anxiety and have not been able to focus at work due to the added stress. How can I make this stop?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this is happening.Who are these people claiming to be? What are their reasons for stating they're coming to your house? Have they said anything to make you think they really know where you live?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are calling from(###) ###-####
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Who do they say they are? Why do they say they're calling? What are their reasons for stating they're coming to your house? Have they said anything to make you think they really know where you live?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said the call was the last attempt, they know my address and will come to the house.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what it is about
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I've found a few websites that say this number is ***** likely associated with a scam, but none of them are telling me WHY they think that. In order to really do an evaluation, I need to know what they say when they call you. For a scam, most likely, they don't actually have your address and therefore cannot show up. Sure, they can say they have it, but unless you ask them to confirm and they say your address, there's no way to know if they're lying. If anyone DOES set foot on your property, call the police. But the odds of that are extremely low. You can also report them to the Federal Trade Commission.https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0076-phone-scams Are they calling your cell phone or a landline?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are calling my cell phone. We had identity theft in 2007 and have paid thousands of dollars for debts that were not ours.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
That's awful. I'm sorry to hear that. See if your phone allows you to block specific numbers. I know some smart phones do. Call your cell phone provider if you can't. Or WhitePages.com has a free app you can use.http://www.whitepages.com/phone/1-***-***-****