Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

What are my rights as a used car buyer?

Customer Question

What are my rights as a used car buyer?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The general rule with used car sales is "Buyer beware." That means rights are significantly less than when purchasing a new car.

• You have a right to ask that a mechanic examine the vehicle before you agree to make a purchase, and to walk away if the seller says no.
  • You have a right to request a warranty, and to walk away if the seller cannot provide one that you feel is adequate.
  • You have a right not to be lied to about the condition of the car.
  • You have a right (and a responsibility to yourself) to insist on test driving a car before you agree to buy it.
  • You have a right not to have the car's conditions hidden (like rolling back an odometer or taping the tailpipe up so it doesn't drag on the ground).
  • You have a right to a title that can be used to register the vehicle.

If you're wondering about a SPECIFIC right that is not listed above, I'm happy to look into it for you. But there is no general right to cancel a sale after it's been made, to return a car for a refund, or to ask the seller to pay for repairs that arise after the deal is complete.

It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.