Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

Got a letter saying I have won over $1Million. from larry

Customer Question

got a letter saying I have won over $1Million. from larry Hourd o WARD NOTIFICATION COMMISSION IN KANSAS CIT.
IS THIS A FRAUD. I WILL NOT PAY $35 PER MONTH - ONLY A ONE TIME PAYMENT OF $35. I STILL REQUIRE AN ANSWER .
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
As you know, something which is too good to be true is, generally, not. Also, I am sure you suspect this is one of those times. Unfortunately, I am absolutely sure that this is a scam and there is no prize waiting for you from these people.This is positively a scam. It is known as an "Advance Fee Scam".Just remember:1. You can not win a sweepstakes or lottery you did not enter.2. No legitimate sweepstakes asks winners to pay upfront to release the winnings.3. If they were genuinely holding money belonging to you should be able to tell them to just deduct the taxes, insurance, courier fee (all red flags, by the way) and send you a net check. 4. No legitimate lottery or sweepstakes notifies major winners by text, email or regular mail. Do not send any money or otherwise respond. They are trying to steal from you. Here is an online warning from the FTC:http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/youarehere/pages/pdf/FTC-Fraud-Scams-The-Winner-Is.pdf