Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma which had a"limited service campaign"

Customer Question

I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma which had a"limited service campaign" for rusted out out frames placing consumers in one of two categories, replacing frames if qualified by inspection or frame spray with rust retardant if frame was in good enough condition. Mine was sprayed in April 2015. Noticed compound was coming off frame in sheets in fall of 2015 and in spring of this year noticed about 20% of frame was completely bare and rusting. Asked dealer to inspect frame and they found a hole in frame and called Toyota to request frame replacement. Was told by Toyota district office that nothing could be done. I called Toyota Corp. in CA and they opened case with case # ***** told by person interviewing me that ther was 1 year warranty on frame spray and interviewed by her manager and was led to believe problem would be addressed. Next day her manager called stating my truck was "out of program" and service campaign ended March 31 and nothing more could be done( over and over like a broken record despite my pleas). If my truck fails inspection it is essentially worthless. In past Toyota has always made situation right for consumer( i.e. Buyback programs, frame replacement, etc.). Since March 31 Toyota has taken opposite stance and now leaving consumers without recourse except to seek compensation "outside of Toyota". Can I sue in small claims court against Toyota for cost of frame replacement( about 10,000 dollars)? Or at least repair of frame. My local dealer has admitted that frame spray was " a bad product" and that they have been pleading with Toyota for help. ( many people like me look at all of complaints online)
Can you help. Thanks
Michael Wassell
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry for your trouble. Yes you can and should file in small claims court. They are acting fraudulently because you did bring your vehicle in for the frame inspection within the timeframe required.
Let me know if you have any specific questions.