Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.

I recently was scammed by some scammers out of Ghana. I was

Customer Question

I recently was scammed by some scammers out of Ghana.
I was approached by a woman that claims to be with the FBI
THE FBI filed a case against Ghana scammers with evidence they gathered from me
The scammers were arrested and 110 KGs were confiscated and the Ghana court ruled that I should get the gold
The gold was shipped to JFK
THE package is said to to be with U S customs
There is a duty of 37618 dollars
How can I verify that this is not a scam
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I can tell you right now that this is a scam. Don't pay any such "duty." You'll just lose your money. When once you are the victim of a scam, scammers always come back in new identities in order to get another bite of the apple. The most common way in which they do this is to pretend to be a business, lawyer, investigator or government agency that claims to be able to give you back the money you lost. For a fee, of course. And then another. And then another. And then another. And still another. Until finally you catch on and realize they've scammed you all over again. Naturally, they never use the word up-front fee. Instead they invent some other reason -- in this case the duty -- for your having to wire more money to Ghana. But don't fall for it. You don't pay duty on goods you don't receive. Your scammers were not arrested. They are alive and well and looking for $37,618 from you. The FBI is a law enforcement ageny. They don't bring civil suits abroad. They have no jurisdiction whatsoever in Ghana. Their power stops at US borders. They cannot make an arrest in Ghana. Pay no money. Cease all communication with these thieves. Report the matter to the REAL FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at There is no gold waiting for you. And if there were, the FBI would typically have nothing to do with it. If Customs did really impose a fee, you would get something in the mail on an official US government form. You wouldn't learn this in a phone call or via an email from a so-called FBI agent.