insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing lawyer for 31 years

My husband recovering from bladder cancer and we are having

Customer Question

my husband recovering from bladder cancer and we are having a lot of medical bills we cant pay. we want to know if we should file bankruptsy on them if we can because I know there is no way we can pay them all
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 6 months ago.
Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. First, let me tell you how sorry I am for your husband's medical issues. I know this is obviously a difficult time for the two of you (notwithstanding the debt issues) and I will certainly keep you in my prayers. I wouldn't file bankruptcy just yet. The threat of bankruptcy can be every bit as potent as actually filing. Until they file suit and get a judgment, they can do nothing to you. Even if they get a judgment, they still must collect it. Whether or not they will even pursue you depends upon their assessment of the collectibility of a judgment. So, if they actually do send you notice they are going to file a civil suit, if you can convince them there is nothing for them to get, and that if they were to pursue a judgment, you would simply file for bankruptcy protection and get the judgment discharged—and even if you have no intention of doing so, it is still good leverage with the bank because they do not know whether or not you would… then it is unlikely the lender will spend the time and money necessary to get a judgment they believe is uncollectible in the end. If they do file suit and/or get a judgment, you can always declare bankruptcy in the end. :) Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!