Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

In February I took my car to a mechanic to fix the air conditioner.

Customer Question

In February I took my car to a mechanic to fix the air conditioner. He later called and said there was a lot more wrong with the engine. I told him to fix it. The next day he called to tell me he found even more wrong with the engine. I told him to fix it. The following day he called to say he had my engine taken apart and that it wasn't worth fixing. Then he told me to pick up the car. He never put the engine back together. The car is old, a 2003 Toyota Camry, with 283,000 miles on it. Do I have a small claims case?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. You would have a case although damages are hard to calculate. You could sue him for the cost of putting it back together again or you could have it repaired and then sue him for the difference (if it was more expensive) between getting it fixed by someone else and by him.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is it worth going to small claims court?
That's a personal decision. If you don't have the time or effort to devote to it then yes, it would likely be a mistake going to small claims court. If you are willing to spend the hours learning what to do and preparing then it is not. I think you stand a very good chance of winning because he is clearly in breach of contract, but it is going to take some time on your part.