Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I owe $5558.00 to an account with Capital One. I made payments

Customer Question

I owe $5558.00 to an account with Capital One. I made payments to a representative of capital one in the amount of $1,500. I have all statements that reflected the accounts remaining balance of $5,558.00 as of June 2015 after my payments were made. At that time I was unable to make any more payments. My account was then sent to an attorney stating to represent capital one in Jan of 2016. The attorney sent out a notice at that time and I threw it away because I believed it to be junk mail. I called capital one in March to pay off the entire balance and was forwarded to this attorney after a representative with capital one stated she could see the account and it was somehow still active in their system. I then spoke with the attorneys office and requested at that time to pay off the entire balance owed on March 31,2016. I have my phone records of the dates and times I had contact with this firm. I work in an ER and when I was contacted Feb 1 2016 by the attorney I did not recognize the number because it was a different than the one stated on the letter. I informed them I was speaking with a Dr. And couldnt communicate while @ my job. I never received another call. I was informed when I recently communicated with the firm and was told new balance of an additional $470.00 was necessary to satisfy the debt. They explained the account would not reflect paid in full if I didn't pay the additional $470.00. I was then ironically served a summons on April 6, 2016 including The terms they wish to collect the original debt before charge off of $7,100 est. dollar
Amount subject to a post charge off credit of $1500. I don't know my rights but feel as though I have been mislead and treated unfairly. I made a good faith attempt not to settle and pay back the entire balance I owed originally but was denied that status due to additional fees. They also charged this additional $470.00 to my credit report changing the balance originally owed. Your opinion / knowledge would be greatly appreciated as to how I should proceed.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Have they stated what this $470 and $1,500 is for? Are these late fees and interest after the account as charged off? Attorney's fees?