TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Can a club charge you taxes above the amount in the conrac

Customer Question

can a club charge you taxes above the amount in the conract
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-ql3iuyvh- replied 7 months ago.
Hello Bert,I am an Enrolled Agent with 9 years of professional tax experience. Can you please give more detail about your question?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I pay a monthly fee of $150.00 for a signed club contract for use of the facilities - on top of that fee they are charging me tax - also tax on a storage fee they said would be $10.00 - Do they have the right to change the contract ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You need to tell me what more information you need
Although this is a tax they are charging, since you are asking about a contract issue, this sounds like someone in the legal category can answer this for you better. I am going to send your question over to one of the moderators who may be able to help you further.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions. Does the contract indicate that the fees are supposed to include taxes?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nothing about tax. States that they may alter/ament policies dues fees at its own discretion
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hi again. Thanks for the additional information. When you mention "taxes," I assume you mean taxes paid to the state. If so, then the club isn't charging you, the state is charging you. So, unless the contract says that the fees include taxes, then you would still owe for taxes independent from the fees. This isn't changing the contract, because the fee that the club receives is the same as what's in the contract. Here's an analogy: Let's say you accept a job offer for $52,000, and that you will be paid weekly. That's $1000 per paycheck, right? Does that mean that the employer has breached his contract with you when you find that your weekly paycheck is less than $1000 due to income taxes? I'm sure you realize that the answer is "no." It's the same concept as what's happening in your club. The payment of taxes is a completely separate issue. Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!