Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

We recently took our truck to a mechanic. Unfortunately there

Customer Question

We recently took our truck to a mechanic. Unfortunately there was no quote given to us up front everything was done by verbally. We got our truck back and we were billed more than we were verbally quoted. We are being charged for repairs that we didn't ask for and weren't told about. Their is damage to our trucks bedside. And the truck is smoking so bad we aren't sure it will pass emissions now.
-Should we pay the part of the bill we do agree with or pay nothing and go to small claims court? The total amount of the bill is $6,000.00
-Can the mechanic file a lien? And would that be against the vehicle?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Should we pay the part of the bill we do agree with or pay nothing and go to small claims court?It usually makes more sense to pay the bill and write on the check above where it would be endorsed by the shop something like "Paid under protest". And then file a lawsuit in small claims court. That way if you lose you don't have to pay interest plus the mechanic can't try and get charges brought against you for "theft of services". Can the mechanic file a lien? And would that be against the vehicle?Yes, the mechanic can file a lien against the vehicle or, if he sues you, then he can get a lien against any property you own.