N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983

Car share legalities? I am considering establishing a car

Customer Question

Car share legalities? I am considering establishing a car share arrangement, wherein I share my car (2011 Toyota Rav4, 35,000 miles, in excellent condition) with someone else. Note that I am only interested in an ongoing, regular arrangement (e.g., several times a week or more) with one individual, rather than one-offs with many different people.I think this could be a great way to earn a little money, keep my vehicle's battery charged (I rarely drive), and help someone else out in the meantime.What legalities do I need to have in place to ensure both me and the renter are protected? Thank you!
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. If you are not going to add the person to the title of the car, you should notify your auto insurer that the person is an authorized driver of the car. I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I request much more information (and believe that I requested detailed information in my payment agreement?) How do I legally protect myself in the event the driver -- not added to my title -- has an accident? Can I legally ensure he/she is responsible for accident claims? What other legalities do I need to include in such an agreement to protect both me and the sharer of my car?
The owner is liable for damages caused by a permissive user of the car. The only protection is to get a lot of insurance.