How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 17466
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Pearl JA: What seems to be the problem? Customer:

Customer Question

hello Pearl
JA: What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I received a call from an Agency called ****** *********, claiming that I have a debt owed to a bank in *****. This debt dates back to 2009. they said they are collecting on their behalf. Can they do that?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: not really
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 7 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. You aren't charged anything extra by submitting a rating.Do you recall having any dealings with a bank in Dubai? If the answer to that is no, and I suspect it is, I can say with about 10,000% certainty that this is a SCAM. You don't have to do anything and you're free to tell them that they are scammers. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra and it's the only way we get credit for assisting you. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Olivia,Thank you for your reply. Please note that you did not really answer my question. Obviously, if I never dealt with a bank in Dubai, then that call would be a scam and I would have dealt with them in a different way. I did deal with that bank there. Please note that I did try to resolve the issue with that bank in Dubai many times before and my last communication with them was 2009 or 2010 but they made it impossible to come to an agreement. I was told before that banks in the United Arab Emirates do not have jurisdiction in the US or Canada and will just try to harass to see if they get the file re-opened. I just wanted to know if they have the right to appoint a collection agency to contact me. Thank you
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 7 months ago.
Understood. Usually when people write in with a similar story, they haven't actually dealt with the bank.... give me just a minute to respond.
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 7 months ago.
The information I am seeing is equivocal - so I will opt out so that someone with more definitive information.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 months ago.
A different Professional here. The answer to your question is YES. A debt collector can contact you on behalf of a creditor if the collector has properly registered in the State to collect debts. You want to check with your Secretary of State department or similar government agency in your State that is charged with registering businesses to do business in the State. If after investigation, you find that the collector has not registered to do business in the State, then you should ignore the calls and if or when a lawsuit is filed, you can challenge the collector's legal standing to file the lawsuit. Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.