Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I have hail damage to my property. I filed a claim... they're

Customer Question

I have hail damage to my property. I filed a claim... they're saying that I need roof replacement, gutters, paint, some windows, etc...
I hired a contractor to do all the work. Contractor explained to me that because he's a general contractor, he is charging a customary 20% in addition to the insurance company estimate. The insurance adjuster agreed that this was normal at the time of the inspection, but said that they don't add it in until it's incurred.
Now the work is done and the contractor wants to be paid, and the insurance is saying that I didn't have authorization to use a general contractor because it wasn't in the estimate and I don't have anything in writing from them authorizing it. What do I do?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 7 months ago.
you filed a claim with insurer? are you asking if you can pursue a claim against contractor?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Filed a claim with insurer. The adjuster gave me a report that showed damages, which were pretty much same as what I hired contractor for. The adjuster told me not to worry about the fact that the 'contractor's overhead and profit' was missing from the insurance estimate. He said that would be added in only when the work is done and that cost is incurred. Now the job's done and the cost was incurred, but the insurance co says they won't pay it. They say it's not complex enough to have warranted. Again... they told me up front not to worry, that this expense would be covered.
If told it would be covered they must now do so and you may lodge complaint with the state insurance dept as appeal of insurer decision.You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved!martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer OK or higher.I wish you the best. I trust the answer has been helpful. kindly let me know.