Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

I have a contract with DISH that is years and am approx

Customer Question

i have a contract with DISH that is for two years and am approx 8 months into it.
my employment will end the end of this month and I will return to my home state.
I communication with DISH this morning they want 400+ dollars to cancel my service. Do i have any alternatives?
joseph tokarski
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, legally these contracts are binding. The law says that written contracts are used to bind people to the contracts that they agree upon. So, if you signed the agreement, which is the installation agreement, I am afraid you are going to be bound to that agreement and they legally do not have to give you consideration for your personal hardships.
The only thing you can do is either keep them and get someone else to pay (as they suggested) or continue to negotiate with them in hopes they will at least reduce the early termination fee, but legally they do not have to do so.