P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16+ yrs. of legal experience.

I have been getting phone calls from a magazine service

Customer Question

I have been getting phone calls from a magazine service saying I owe them over $900 for a service I supposedly signed up for. For over a year anytime I get a call from any of these companies I tell them I want no more magazines and no extentions of any of the ones they say I ordered. I am getting magazines that I have no interest in. How do I get out of this and can they sue me? They said if they didn't hear from me by next month it will be turned over to a collection agency.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I want to make sure I mention "supposedly signed up for"...did you agree to the subscription?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had signed up for one about 5 years ago but it has long since been closed. This is a totally new company Called Registered Publications.

Thank you
If you do not owe the money? Then you have no obligation to pay a penny. And for them to force you to pay, they would first have to go to court, provide evidence to the court that you owe the money, BEFORE they can obtain a judgment (and force you to pay)

So can they sue you? They could...but frankly speaking, I doubt they do...since if they did file suit, they would have to prove that you owed the money.

And, perhaps more important, IF they report this on your credit? You can sue them under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). THe FCRA is a very "consumer friendly" law that allows you to sue for $1000 PLUS attorney fees.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.