Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

When u die on feb 29,leap yr. doesn't the legal day become

Customer Question

when u die on feb 29,leap yr. doesn't the legal day become mar 1st if that yr? My first husband died Feb 29, lear yr twelve years ago and If I remember the first of Mar. was used for legal purposes. My new husband also died Feb 29, leap yr this yr but the soc sec managers did not use Mar. 1st as the legal day. so many dollars were taken back from his monthly payment and I feel that is not going to be the only problem coming.Waiting for an answer from you. thank you very much for answering me
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that under the SS regulations, if someone dies on February 29 and their payments are due March 1 or after, they are not entitled to the payment, they consider it to not be due. The February 29 date causes issues for SS, but they have decided and state in all of their publications that anyone who dies on February 29 would not be entitled to receive their payment in March.