Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I took my 2006 Huydai Sonata to an automobile repair shop to

Customer Question

I took my 2006 Huydai Sonata to an automobile repair shop to fix the heat tha was not working. I contacted him later that day as to the update on my car. He said it was all finished. He stated he replaces a hose that had a hole in it and put antifreeze in the car and now the heat works. I went to pick up my car and noticed the left passenger tire was really low and I did not bring it in that way. He said he would check it out when I was there.
One of his mechanics got in to move the car back into the garage. As he put it in motion the car abruptly backed up and he almost hit the garbage can behind him. The owner got in the car and started to move it. He was rebbing the engine and not going anywhere, I was wondering what he was doing. He then said to me that the care would not drive forward and would only go into reverse. He then said it was my transmission he was sorry and would look to see what was wrong on Monday. When I took my car and left it there, no notice of any problems along the way. Who is responsible for the
cost of fixing my car.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

When you leave your car with a mechanic, they're obligated to return it in either the SAME condition they got it, or better. That means, unless they can prove that the tire had a leak when you brought it in, they need to repair/replace your tire. (It would be tough for them to establish they didn't pick up a nail or something driving around the shop). With the transmission, you need to know what went wrong with it. If it's bad timing and the transmission went out because it's a 10-year-old car, you'll have to pay for it. But if there's any reason to believe that they did something to cause the problem, then they're responsible.

If you wind up in court, all you have to prove is that the car had no mechanical problems when you dropped it off and that it wasn't working when you picked it up. It's up to them to prove that the transmission had a pre-existing problem or that they could not have avoided the issue. And you're allowed to have your own mechanic examine the car to give an opinion before accepting their explanation as to what went wrong.

It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.