Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I took my car to an auto body shop to get repaired. The

Customer Question

I took my car to an auto body shop to get repaired. The owner damaged my car further to get more money from insurance. The insurance company than stopped payment on his check and started an investigation. The body shop owner said it was my fault and he hired me an attorney. I asked for my car back and he refused wanting 6000 in car repair . He painted and fixed my car a different color and now wants his money for this sub standard work. I was able to get my car back. Can he put a lien on my car ? It's a leased Maserati with ally bank .
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 11 months ago.
He cannot put a lien in the car. You on the other hand can pursue a claim for damages incurred to the extent not repaired. This can be pursued in small claims court. You may also complain to the BBB and attorney general office. Kindly rate the answer positively.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just got this today saying he has a repair lien
The lien is wrongly placed. You can demand from the firm and company that it be removed, and if not removed, sue to have it removed and awarded damages for the negligent work performed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The car is in my possession can he place a lien ? Does this prove he has a lien? Where can I verify this lien ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I took my car into Dmv and they said the Lien would be removed
If they have formalized it then it would be with the dmv. Otherwise they are merely asserting a claim for payment and calling it a lien.To recap options. You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved!martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer OK or higher.I wish you the best. I trust the answer has been helpful. kindly let me know.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How can they records with the Dmv office ? The Dmv should have A record of any liens correct ? Can they place a lien for a car out of their possession ?
They would simply report a claim relating to the vehicle. Practically speaking you should either resolve by negotiation or by lawsuit. Kindly rate me positively.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
So they can file a lien for any amount? Which goes to the lender as well ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Who would simply report a claim ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Great rating
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How can they formalize the lien?
Through dmv or by suing and asserting the lien. Kindly press on the excellent rating button
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok how can they put a lien through Dmv? If they have the car in their possession only correct?last question sorry
They would report a claim to the dmv relating to the vehicle. Good luck. I tried to expedite your question. kindly click on a rating of OK or higher for the answer.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The claim only goes through if they have the car correct ?
Generally yes.
Kindly select the excellent rating button.