Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

About a month ago I purchased a Samsung gas oven and a Samsung

Customer Question

About a month ago I purchased a Samsung gas oven and a Samsung dishwasher from Best Buy using the Best Buy credit card. The oven works fine. They did have to send me a replacement bottom drawer as it was damaged in shipping. This last Sunday evening, the dishwasher began malfunctioning. I tried powering it off and back on, I checked the drain line, nothing. Still malfunctioning. Then it began leaking water. I unhooked it, picked it up and was taking it outside when I tripped on some rocks from my garden where I have been working and caused extensive physical damage to the unit when I dropped it and partially fell on it. Best Buy has no solution because they say I am out of their normal return period and I didn't buy a extended warranty from them. Samsung says I am out of luck because I attempted to uninstall it myself rather than call them or Best Buy at 9:00 pm on a Sunday and get a licensed installer to my house. What are my options short of just not paying, going to claims, and settling?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I look forward to your opinion.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Have you checked the terms of the Samsung warranty to confirm that what your uninstallation did indeed void their warranty.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is what they tell me. I will look in the manual.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Look in the manual, because sometimes the customer service people just don't know, or they are trying to get rid of you.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
If it is in the manual and you voided the warranty, there should be a process in the warranty to appeal a denial of coverage. If there is not then you will have no choice but to sue (or seek arbitration, if that is required in the warranty).A warranty is a contract and you can always assert a breach.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I didn't see anything in the user manual specifically about the warranty being voided due to my having uninstalled it.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information. If there is nothing in the warranty which you have done to void it then they must meet the obligations. Make a demand in accordance with the provisions in the warranty. Make sure you follow the proccess to the letter. Then if they refuse to honor it, you can sue or seek arbitration. Document everything you do.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Are you still online with me?