How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 55406
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Sent to Debt Collections by an Accountant who claims he worked .

Customer Question

Sent to Debt Collections by an Accountant who claims he worked for me. Can I fight this?
Visited Accountant office months ago, had initial consultation, and told me to send files to get a good idea of my cost basis in RE. I did not send everything in, had a couple phone calls with his assistants, but had several questions that were never answered. They spit out a profit/loss statement a few months later in pdf, but I wanted Quickbooks file. Also, have no clue where or how he got any of the numbers, so it's essentially worthless. He never returned phone calls, always out of office, and I gave up a month later. Now I'm getting phone calls about a bill due by a debt collector. What should I do, I don't want to pay him, he didn't even help me!
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 11 months ago.
aside from value, did this person put in hours for which he was not paid? was he an employee or contractor? how much is involved?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He says he did, and I hired him as a contractor I guess, since he has his own LLC. According to debt collections I owe him $260.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 11 months ago.
You can contest it on basis he didn't perform. A debt this small rarely leads to lawsuit. Practically some people raise the objections and offer reduced amounts in settlement to avoid potential for a credit report or other loss of time. I wish you the best. I trust the answer has been helpful. kindly let me know.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions