Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I have a trial date July 20th. a collection agency is attempting to g

Customer Question

I have a trial date July 20th. a collection agency is attempting to get a judgment on behalf of HELCO (hawaii electric company) for the amount of 1900.00 The thing is I complained multiple times to the electric company before they disconnected us to please check the meter because something was obviously wrong. The same two tenants have lived in the same tiny house since 2005 with a bill that floated between 80.oo and 150 at the very most, then in 2012 they changed the way they process their billing and we were seeing bills that were 250- 400 and even one for 600 dollars worth of usage, which seems ridiculous for a 380 sq ft studio. With no change in tenants or appliances. I made payments as much as I could for as long as I could then, finally I was too far behind so they disconnected us. i may not win my argument, because I was never building a court case in my mind I never wrote down anyone's name who I talked to at HELCO with my concerns. The collection agent is unmoved, would n
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. Have you requested the monthly usage numbers from your meter to see if the usage justifies the fee?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The meter readings were high. That is the dispute, the meter was reading high regardless of actual usage. When we complained the meter could be faulty they took the meter off the house.
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
I'm about to go offline, so I'll opt out in order for another expert to help as soon as possible.