Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

My 28 year old heat pump died in early Feb. after the blizzard.

Customer Question

My 28 year old heat pump died in early Feb. after the blizzard. I knew it needed to be replaced after being patched several times in the 7 yrs. I've owned my 1750 sq. ft. townhome in Centreville, VA. I called a "5 Star" rated company that was close to me to come and check out the problem. The one I called was "My Plumber" in Manassas, VA. They were prompt to get things checked out and a salesman was at my door by 2 or 3 in the afternoon to give me a 3 hr. Sales pitch. Bot***** *****ne is the new heat pump I needed would run almost 12,000. dollars!! I thought that was astronomical but had no clue what it would run. So it got financed thru Wells Fargo and the work was done the next day!! Then the problems began!!
1) Got home from work and house was still cold!! Checked up in the attic several hours later where my heat pump is and it felt like a blast furnace hit me in the face!! Tried to call the installer and left him a message, no call back!! Finally went to bed and woke up Sat. morning freezing!! Called the salesman at 7am and someone was at my house by 8:30. The installer had not attached something properly and the heat was going into the attic!!
Long story short I became very unhappy with the whole situation.
I really feel like I've been ripped off!!
They apparently need me to sign a document that wasn't signed about my 3 day right to cancel or the financing won't go thru!!
My question is, do I have grounds to renegotiate the price knowing now that other companies are charging about half of what My Plumber charged for the same system??
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..My question is, do I have grounds to renegotiate the price knowing now that other companies are charging about half of what My Plumber charged for the same system??.I hate to say it, but the answer is no. The purchase contract and the financing contract are two completely separate contracts and aren't dependent on each other. If the financing is denied or falls through, then you are still legally obligated to pay for the system either outright or by obtaining financing through some other lender..The time to check on pricing and compare quotes would have been before you signed a contract and had the work done. So when you signed the contract, you are legally bound to that price, even if you were gouged and paid more than the job should have cost..I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy.....thanksBarrister