Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

I just found out that i have a civil judgement against me from

Customer Question

I just found out that i have a civil judgement against me from 2011. I didnt get any notice or mail, etc. Until i checked my credit. This happen on time that me and husband got seperated. And now back together. We plan on going on a family vacation out of the country. Can we still travel? And how should i handle the situation. Its now 5 years. Thank you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..This is a money judgment, correct?.Did husband get served for the lawsuit or does he have no knowledge about the lawsuit?..Do you recognize who the creditor is? (credit card, bank, individual, etc.).If so, do you acknowledge the debt?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Its actully about an item that i was paying montly. Until i came to a point that alot of changes was happening during that time. Separation and switching jobs. I didnt get serve with anything and its been 5 years. I only found out because i wanted to check my credit. We want to travel out of the country will this hold me back? The amount is only $1, 400. Thats something that i can pay off. But i need to do it the best way and proper way. Who should i contact?
Ok, this is just a civil judgment, so it doesn't have any effect on your travel outside the US. Only criminal pending charges would affect travel if you had an outstanding warrant. This is just about money, so doesn't affect anything..As for settling the judgment, you would just need to contact the creditor to see if they will agree to some lesser amount to settle it or will set up a payment plan so you can get them paid off...thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. Once i contacted the creditor and if they do agree of taking the payment. Is this still going to be in my credit report and how long does it stay there? Thank you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Should i directly just call the court? Do i have to go to court and settle it. Or once i call i can just pay over the phone. Whats the process
Once i contacted the creditor and if they do agree of taking the payment. Is this still going to be in my credit report and how long does it stay there? .It stays on your credit for 7 years under the Fair Credit Reporting Act..Should i directly just call the court? Do i have to go to court and settle it. Or once i call i can just pay over the phone. Whats the process.This is between you and the judgment creditor now. The courts are essentially out of it so you need to contact the creditor to work out any payment plan or settlement to resolve it..If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me...thanksBarrister