Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

Am I as a homeowner in Idianapolis required by law to participate

Customer Question

Am I as a homeowner in Idianapolis required by law to participate in the STEP program? Can I be require to take a loan from The INHP to fund my participation ? This is payable after 30 yrs, in reality a 30 yr lien on my property.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, Indianapolis is switching everyone over off of septic to the city sewer system. If you do not use the STEP program, then the city could make you use your own contractor, which could be more expensive. However, under the city's power for health welfare and safety they can mandate you move your septic over to sewer (as a matter of fact I was speaking to someone else about this same issue when your question popped up and they were telling me that the STEP program was cheaper than using a private contractor and the city is making it easier to get a loan from INHP to do so). The INHP loan is paid back monthly just like a regular 30 year mortgage on the property.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But am I bound by law to do so?
Thank you for your reply.
You are bound by the Indianapolis counsel's resolution that all homes have to be connected to sewers, since they have control over this under their health, safety and welfare powers. You are not bound by law to use the STEP program or make a loan if you do not want to do that, but you are bound to switch over as you have been told by them.