Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I paid first month rent on a house and decided it was not right

Customer Question

I paid first month rent on a house and decided it was not right for my family. Paid on Friday and am notifying tomorrow since the office was not open. I did not sign a lease. Am I entitled to my money back
JA: The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Am I entitled to my money back .Unfortunately no, even if you didn't sign a lease, when you agreed to rent and paid the rent, you entered into an oral month to month tenancy agreement. If you later signed a lease, it would be a fixed term contract..With a month to month lease, you can terminate at any time with proper notice, but that is normally a 30 day written notice..So if you terminated immediately, the landlord could hold you liable for one month's rent, even if you never moved it as there is no right of rescission to change your mind in a leasing situation unless the landlord agrees to do so or it is in a written contract..As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years....I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy.....thanksBarrister