Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of proefessional experience
16823287

I enteres into a contract with Verizon, tele phone, and

Customer Question

I enteres into a contract with Verizon for TV, tele phone, and internet service. It still has a year and a half to go. They just turned over their sistem in CA to Frontier as of April 1st. Am I oblígated to stay with Frontier? I didnt sign a contract with them. They just took over from Verizon.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

1. CAN YOU UPLOAD A COPY OF THE CONTRACT THAT YOU SIGNED?

2. IN WHAT YEAR DID YOU SIGN THE CONTRACT ?

3. WAS IT DONE ON LINE OR IN PERSON OR OVER THE PHONE?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There was no actual signing of a contract. The agreement was made over the phone and they just started biling me and by my paying them, I agreed to the terms.
Expert:  Maverick replied 8 months ago.

As I suspected Verizon has what is known as "an assignment" clause in their terms and conditions of service agreement. Here is what it states:

"About This Agreement. ∞ A waiver of any part of this agreement in one instance won't be a waiver of any other part or any other instance. You can’t assign this agreement or any of your rights or duties under it. We may assign all or part of this agreement without notice, and you agree to make all subsequent payments as instructed. NOTICES ARE CONSIDERED DELIVERED 3 DAYS AFTER MAILING TO THE MOST CURRENT BILLING ADDRESS WE HAVE ON FILE FOR YOU, IF BY US, OR TO THE CUSTOMER SERVICE ADDRESS ON YOUR MOST RECENT BILL, IF BY YOU."

So it appears that you at least have to complete the current contract term but you do not have to renew with Frontier.

You can read the whole agreement here.