LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator

I was contacted about a month ago about winning Proctor and

Customer Question

I was contacted about a month ago about winning Proctor and Gamble Sweepstakes 2nd prize in Dec 21, 2015. I would have thrown away any letter as junkmail.
I have been contacted by a Agent David Hamilton of the DCRA- says from Washington DC(###) ###-#### ***** to facilitate getting the prize money to me. There have been fees to pay, (company will pay fed and state taxes) and because I have delayed getting the moneydue to either a delivery charge from the delivery company -Brinks- they claim the ATCC certicficate required by Homeland has expired and I need to pay $6500 to reinstate it.
Can you verify any of this for me? I do not have the 6500.00- the prize money is significant amount of money 750.000.
Please help me, i need to answer them today.
Sue Morehead ***@******.*** (###) ###-####ell
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 6 months ago.

Per their website, they state they will never require a fee to send a prize;

There are many warning signs of a scam, and a request for payment is one of the most common:

If any private information has been given, one can place a fraud alert with the credit reporting agencies, to ensure that no false accounts are opened in one's name.

If any banking information was given, those bank accounts should be closed to prevent unauthorized withdrawals.

A fraud alert can be placed with the credit bureaus by reviewing this and contacting the 3 agencies:

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly
-Rate Positively-
This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.

Thank you and take care!