Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I bought a car, it was bank approved loan and funded. It

Customer Question

I bought a car , it was bank approved for a loan and funded . It shows on my credit report as a funded loan in my name .
The car dealership a month later paid off my bank loan and now say they have cancelled the deal .
I had confronted them earlier because they wanted me to lie to the bank during funding time and say I put 2400 $ down as a down payment when I actually only gave them 500$ . They asked me to lie to the bank and give them the other 1900$ for the down at a later date .
I never received a call or any kind of notice from the dealer that they were cancelling the deal . I found out they paid off my loan after 2 weeks of calling the loan company to try and make my first payment .
They kept saying the loan was paid . When I asked who had the title the bank said they gave it to the auto loan place because they paid off the loan . How is this possible if the loan is in my name ?
What should I do ?
I have had the car since Feb. 2 . No one has sent me anything or notified me of anything .
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do I need to give them the car ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have no paperwork asking for the car at all .
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

I am not sure how the dealership came to have the title to the car if the loan was in your name. Generally, after the loan is paid off, the title certificate usually is issued to the person that has the loan on the car, and not to the dealership. You should carefully review the documents you signed at the dealership.

If the dealership has indeed cancelled the transaction and you have not made any further payment on the car, you need to return the car back to the dealership or make arrangement with the dealership to pay monthly payments if you still need the car. The dealership would come looking for the car in the near future and may even try to repossess the car when you are not expecting it.

Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.