Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

My son purchased a dirt bike from a business in Wichita Ks.

Customer Question

My son purchased a dirt bike from a business in Wichita Ks. After riding it for 30 minutes the engine blew. The business said they with repair the bike free of labor charge but that is it. he paid 3,300.00 for it and they want to charge him 1,800.00 to fix the bike. Suggestion? I do have a bill of sale and it has an "As Is" clause in it.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Unless the bike is new enough that it was covered by the original manufacturer's warranty (in which case, the manufacturer would fix it), the sale is unfortunately as-is. That means the seller isn't responsible for any problems that arise after the fact unless there's evidence of misrepresentation or fraud, such as claiming that they'd just rebuilt the engine when they hadn't. They're not even required to waive the labor charges for fixing it. So, if the bike is only a few years old, you could try contacting the manufacturer to ask about their warranty. That's unfortunately the only recourse.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively to ensure I am paid for the time I spent answering your question. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Good luck.