Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.
18321761

My friend got direct deposit the check in her account from

Customer Question

my friend got direct deposit the check in her account from her employer last week.she doesnt know it and she used the money. Now she got to know that this is fake check and she afraid that bank may come back and arrest her. What she needs to do
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.

Hello again,

If she's the victim of a job scam, what she needs to do is to let the bank know, tell them to close the account, and then report the scam to her police. She's going to be liable to the bank for any overdraft she created. All account holders are strictly liable for monies they put into or take from their accounts. But as long as she pays the bank what she owes them, they will likely be content not to have her prosecuted.