Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I recently checked my credit report and realized that a

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I recently checked my credit report and realized that a judgment was placed against me for a debt by a collections agency. I had previously agreed with the agency to pay my debt in installments. I made the payments on time yet they continued legal action against me. I have all the receipts and a letter from the agency stating that I did not have to appear in court because they received my payment on time prior to the court date. How do I vacate the judgment because I need it off my credit report.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Bankruptcy Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 months ago.

You need to go back to your local Courthouse and obtain a blank Motion form to file Motion to Vacate Judgment. Give your reason for the Motion, that you negotiated settlement of the debt with the collector and the collector led you to believe that the Court case would be withdrawn and that there was no reason for you to show up. That you made the payments as agreed. Be sure to include evidence of your payments with the Motion to Vacate.

Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.