Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

My mother signed a digital lease i am 20 years old the agent

Customer Question

my mother signed a digital lease for me i am 20 years old the agent knew it was sent to her
the email she sent the lease to was my mothers name
i was away at college in another city in class at the time the lease was signed
now the lease agent is telling me that in august i have to find someone to sublet it even if i never signed the lease what can i do
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Even though your mother signed the lease, her saying that she now thought she was only the guarantor does not absolve you of liability under the lease. You still have to get someone to continue the lease as her signature would bind her as guarantor and if you do not find someone to sublet they can sue her for the payments under the lease for breach of lease. Even though you may be able to personally get out arguing she was not your agent and could not bind you to the lease, her signature on the lease at the very least binds her to the agreement even if you are able to get yourself personally out of it for not signing the lease. A guarantor signature agrees to be bound to the lease in the event that the primary party does not pay.