Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

If you have a car loan and have not made a payment in almost

Customer Question

if you have a car loan and have not made a payment in almost 5 years and now they want to file a law suit to recover them money is there some statue of limitation that would stop them from doing so
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The statute of limitations on breach of contract is five years in Florida. Fl. Stat., Section 95.11. As long as the lawsuit is filed within 5 years to the day of when you made the last payment, they will still be allowed to sue. You should also be aware that promises to pay can extend the statute of limitations. You have the ability to wait and see if they run out of time - if they file even a day late, you'll have a total defense to the lawsuit (unless the final day falls on a weekend or holiday - then they'd get until the next day).

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.