Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I took my car to Walmart to get a oil change yesterday and

Customer Question

I took my car to Walmart to get a oil change yesterday and they botched up and my engine blew up on me what should I do
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I hope no one was injured.

When you pay someone to do a job, there's an implied warranty that they're going to do the job correctly. If they botched the job and your engine exploded, then the store is responsible for giving you a new engine, if the car is still operable, or for paying you the reasonable value of the car if it cannot be repaired.

If you haven't already, you can try talking to the manager of the auto department, or you could write to the general manager of the store and send a copy to the district manager, to see if they'll help you resolve this without going to court. Sending a copy to the corporate office might also help.

The other option is to file a lawsuit. In Georgia, a person can seek up to $15,000 in Magistrate's Court (more commonly known as Small Claims). if there were injuries or your car was worth more than that (and you can't get a new engine), let me know and we can talk about the higher courts. Here is more information:

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.