Michael Lykken, Esq
Michael Lykken, Esq,
Experience:  Partner at Soares & Lykken, Attorneys at Law
77500129

I paid 3000.00 3/ 17/2016 to Osborne st CA condominium

Customer Question

I paid 3000.00 3/ 17/2016 to Osborne st CA condominium complex.march 20 2016,my family and I[husband, and 2 children-1 being challenged-moved into the complex.mar 21 2018 the electricity went out.my husband and I spent horurs trying to contact the ownerfinally.he contacted my husband.he said he would have the electrician check the wiring.well, is was found that the wiring was faulty. this all transpired at 3pm. the electrician did not come back to the apt complex until 730 pm. my husband went back to the complex to meet him. now I will mention that it took us 2 days to move,rented a u haul and because of the situation,had to go to my parents house.so-mean time,our refrigerator went out,therefore about 100.00 of groceries went bad.most of our belongings were already at the new apt.clothes work clothes t.v. ect. this ESPECIALLY upset my autistic little boy.the manager REFUSED to reimburse us for the food we lost AND FOR THE MONEY WE PAID AND COULDNT LIVE IN APT BECAUSE OF BAD WIRING! I obviously need legal advice. who should I contact? thank you regina colchado.(###) ###-####818371-2295
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Michael Lykken, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am a licensed California attorney and i would like to help you with this question. Please understand that I can only provide you with general information in this forum. I have a law practice, so if I cannot respond right away that is because I am either in court or in a meeting. If I cannot respond right away, I will respond by that night at the latest.

Now on to your question. I am a bit confused by the timing and dates, so if you could clarify that I would appreciate it. You should review your lease for provisions regarding the provision of electric services and any warranty of the condition of the property. It could be that the landlord is in violation of the lease. For landlord-tenant issues, there isn't any state agency you can report the landlord to unless there is an element of discrimination involved. So, your only recourse is to file a small claims action. The damages involved are less than $10,000, so it wouldn't be worth the expense to hire an attorney (and an attorney can't help you in small claims court). You could hire an attorney to help you prepare the small claims case, such as helping you with the drafting of the complaint and service on the landlord. However, that could still cost you more than you would receive. Perhaps this will change when you clarify the dates and timeline, so I'll look forward to that clarification. Thank you!

Hello, if you need further clarification please let me know. Otherwise, I only receive credit for helping you if you rate my answer. I therefore would appreciate it if you would do this. Thank you!