Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

I am retired and living on a fixed income. I was talked into

Customer Question

I am retired and living on a fixed income. I was talked into cosigning for a car because children were involved I didn't receive any paper work on the financing of the car and nw the finance company keeps calling me because the person with the car is not making the payments. I have very good credit and would like to keep it but they are saying I have no rights about getting off the contract I have no contact with the person who has the car so she won't even talk to me I would like to know if there is anything I can do to get my name off the car JustAnswer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Unfortunately, no. There is no way to force them to let you off of the loan other than a bankruptcy which will, of course, ruin your credit. by co-signing the car you placed yourself in the same situation as the borrower in the even they failed to pay.

What you can do to protect your credit is to make the payments and then hire a lawyer to get an order from a judge to seize the car and have it sold to apply that amount to the note and, hopefully, pay it off.