Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I had Direct TV installed Friday at 2:00pm and cancelled it

Customer Question

I had Direct TV installed Friday at 2:00pm and cancelled it on Monday at 10:00 am.Do I have to pay the early cancellation fee? I thought I had three days to cancell
JA: The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: When I called Direct TV I asked them if they had light up remotes. I was told yes and after installation I was told they were an additional 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Consumer Protection Lawyer should know?
Customer: additional $ 50 dollars each and I would need three. The remotes were horrible and Direct TV doesn't offer everything I need.
JA: OK. The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Our top Consumer Protection Lawyer is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Consumer Protection Lawyer in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Consumer Protection Lawyer until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, the typical consumer places way too much faith on the three day right to cancel and misunderstands it more often than not. The three day right to cancel applies to sales made that were unsolicited door to door type sales. In the sale like you describe where you arranged with DTV to come to install your dish and service, the only right to cancel legally is whatever the agreement is you signed with DTV when the installer came out and had you sign the installation agreement.
If there was no right to cancel in that agreement (there was no such right to cancel in my agreement when I signed a year ago) then you legally are bound to the contract from the minute you signed that installation agreement.
So, yes, you are bound to that contract and they can insist on charging you the cancellation fee unless you negotiate otherwise with them.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thank you for your help even though it is not what I wanted to hear
Thank you for your reply.
I am sorry that it is such a difficult situation, but I will say from dealing with DTV for almost 4 years personally, if you call and complain a lot and speak to a supervisor about your dissatisfaction, many times they will give you good discounts or throw in free channels for several months. They will respond to your complaints pretty decently most times, but they are not very friendly when it comes to early termination, they will offer discounts or additional service at no cost, but not termination or waiver of early termination fees.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.