Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I had three cards cancelled reason by American Express. My

Customer Question

I had three cards cancelled for no reason by American Express. My Platinum Card (personal), Green Card (personal) and Business Platinum Card. I had been a card member for 3-byears and all cards were in better than good standing. Indeed, I never missed a payment and had CREDIT balances on two of the three. A zero balance on the third. I had a $15,000 credit balance on my Platinum Card and that seems to be the issue. I had just paid my annual $450 fee on the card. I want my cards back. This is absurd.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I had three cards cancelled for no reason by American Express. My Platinum Card (personal), Green Card (personal) and Business Platinum Card. I had been a card member for 3-byears and all cards were in better than good standing. Indeed, I never missed a payment and had CREDIT balances on two of the three. A zero balance on the third. I had a $15,000 credit balance on my Platinum Card and that seems to be the issue. I had just paid my annual $450 fee on the card. I want my cards back. This is absurd. 30 years as a card holder. They just took back my cards. I think my credit balance flagged their computers.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What was the reason they gave you for cancellation? Amex does review credit scores periodically and may cancel or lower balances but what you describe sounds like an error. Have you called them yet about reinstatement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a bif=g file with them. We routinely carry CREDIT balances on our cards and that flagged their computers.
Thank you for your reply.
While the credit balance may have flagged their computer, it is not generally basis for them to cancel the accounts completely. However, the extension of credit is something that you do realize is at the discretion of the company, so they could cancel for no reason at all and you would have no recourse to force them to reinstate through any legal process. This is something that you have to negotiate through the company I am afraid, as there is no lawsuit that could be brought to reinstate the accounts.